Saturday, May 12, 2012

Unpacked Boxes

Chemo is coming up again on Monday. I'm trying not to think about that too much. This morning the sun is shining, the dogs are with me and I'm enjoying a peaceful cup of coffee on my front porch. I say peaceful because I only have one teenager home. The other went to a sleep over. Don't get me wrong, I love my kids and wouldn't trade them for anything. But teenagers are NOT peaceful.

I've been sitting here contemplating many things. Not deep thinking. A person can only handle so much of that. But more practical and prosaic thoughts like what to have for breakfast and I really need to finish reorganizing upstairs so I can get back to arting. And what the heck is my dog staring at. I don't see anything.

It was a busy crazy couple of weeks. I entered a couple of my art pieces in the Juried art show which of course was during chemo week. My son started ball again and had his first game Thursday. I had an art morning session with the gals from the Dauphin Art Group. And I decided it was time to move my art stuff out of the kitchen and create my own studio space.

I am a habitual pack rat with the potential to become a hoarder. I've got boxes that have moved with me for the past 13 years but I've never unpacked them. I decided it was time to deal with it. Of course I decide this every couple of months or so and never do anything about it.

But this week was different. It's a been a good week energy wise. And for some reason I'm actually doing it. I'm not sure if it's because I'm craving my own space or I'm using it as a surrogate for cleaning out emotionally. There are still a lot of unpacked boxes hiding in corners in my mind that need to be dealt with. But dealing with the emotional is draining so dealing with the physical is a good substitute.

This whole cleaning and getting rid of stuff is turning out to be surprisingly freeing. And the bonus is I'll have a room all to myself to create or just hang out in and wonder what the heck my dog is staring at!

3 comments:

  1. It is always great fun to plan around a craft room. I can't wait to see how yours turns out. Wish I could loan you my DH to help custom make you some lovely storage;-)

    I hope you are doing okay with the chemo. Remember that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm excited. And impatient. But I will post pics when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenna. I wanted to tell you that you're an inspiration, colon cancer runs in my fam, so it's close to my heart! I think it's great that you're still getting out there and living your life!!
    I too am a pack-rat, and like you have moved boxes around for along time, and find myself in a place to purge, to clean out. I just read an article about how clutter can be toxic to our physical and emotional well being, so I guess we're just wanted to be refreshed. I think it's great having your own creative space, a place of peace!
    I wish you all the best and know that I'm thinking of you <3

    ReplyDelete