Friday, May 4, 2012

Evolution of a Reluctant Artist

I have been privileged to sign up for a an online art course through Christy Tomlinson called the Art of Wild Abandonment, and she wasn't kidding.  This time she had a guest guide by the name of Junelle Jacobsen.  Both are amazing artists in their own right and excellent guides for us newbies!

And I am a newbie. I think of myself as a scientist, I love science and math and all that logic. I can pick out patterns in numbers, and think critically and logically.  A couple of years ago, due to my own stupidity (and yes there is no other word than stupidity to describe what I did), I ended up in the hospital with a Holy crap life is way to short moment.  It inspired me to gather my courage and try and repair some relationships I'd let slide.  Wasn't easy, but I, we, did it.  In the course of spending time with my Auntie Heather (who I rarely call auntie anymore-there is only 6 years between us) I discovered she wasn't the same person that I had known.  She too was on life changing journey.  She had discovered the Brave Girls Club, and an online course called Soul Restoration.  I thought that if this course had helped her so much, maybe it would be worthwhile for me to give it a try.  I ignored the art bit.  But it sucked me in, and I discovered that doing the art bit was fun, and not as intimidating as I thought.

Thus began my Arty Journey, and I've ended up here taking this amazing course with amazing ladies and to my absolute horror, I have discovered I have a creative side....and its taking over!

I have to say this course has pushed me way outside my comfort zone.  I don't draw, although I do sketch. And I have definitely been inspired by all the messy classes. 

What this class and all the support from all of you fantastic ladies has allowed me to do is push way outside the box.  I found ways to frame existing pieces inspired by Christy's creative colour course..


...to figuring out how to do my tree.  I started with the 11x17 canvas, but got stumped


Then I started sketching, and came up with this beauty.

And finally, this was the final result.  Can you find the animal face?

Amazing.  I even got brave enough to enter them into the Parkland Regional Juried Art Show.  The reception is tonight and I plan on adding a few more photos for sure, and the results.  Nervous and excited.


OK, so I just got back from the Juried art Show, and holy!  Positive feedback from the judges and the other artists.  Comments from the judges included for Dragon flies: "Has a neo-native New age feel. Interesting contrast between delicate muslin and heavy tiles."  I have to admit the dragonflies is my favourite piece.

For Tree Dreams: " Choice of pink for leaves (not blooms) is gutsy.  Loads of personality here and inventiveness." "I can't make out what the text in the background says so it becomes another texture.  Conceptually it reads like subliminal chatter or a radio you can barely hear" 

All in all a successful art show and first step on to becoming a professional artist.  And I couldn't have done it without this class.  Thank you all for your support and feedback.  You are all wonderful artists in your own right.  Yay for us!

Welcome to those of you that hopped over to here from Cheri Andrews  www.cheriandrews.blogspot.com.  Your next stop on this awesome blog hop  is  Christine Piazza http://www.cmcscrap.blogspot.com/  Have fun hopping through these amazing blogs!




30 comments:

  1. Yay Jenna! I am so glad you have found your creative side and that you are running with it! And well done on the art show...sounds like they really liked your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both pieces are interesting and unique. I can't find an animal face in the tree, but I love how the snow laying in the branches forms heart shapes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great! Love that you put it in an art show. How brave of you...you are an inspiration to us all. It really is a beautiful piece that you should be proud of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, yes, yes I see the face!!!! That is so clever...I've never thought to have done anything like that :) Art really does has some kinda way of sucking you right in and boy am I glad it did me!!! A BIG well done on your art show, you are so inspirational! And Brave Girls Club totally rocks :)

    Claire Smillie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it, I am a retiring Math teacher... people can't believe I love art..LOL.... your work is phenominal. I am also a newbie and with the turtle group. I have to finish wallet, lambs, and my brush..LOL... You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sketch came together for SUCH a lovely canvas :0)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm glad you got sucked in to this artsy stuff, you are very talented, love the banner : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you felt confident enough to enter your work in a show! The pieces came out beautifully, and you have a wonderful artistic path ahead of you!
    x, Val

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tree! And how wonderful about the art show! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with the judges -- your tree is fabulous! This is my first dance with on-line art classes, sketching, mixed media,etc.,and I too am becoming more than a little obsessed. Isn't it wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  11. hopping on by...I love your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you did so wonderful!! That was so cool what the judges said. Man that is a sure way to get a big ego!!! So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great work!!! Branching out with the tree, lol, Love it! I wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think it's awesome that you got such wonderful reviews on your art pieces at the show! They are beautiful! I especially love your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your artwork is beautful. Looked for the animal face in the tree, but couldn't find it. Congrats on your juried show. I have never had enough nerve to do that..someday.
    One of the things I love most about our art is the ability to lose myself and just float while I am deep into a project.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy congratulations and you are so brave to put yourself out there like that! It inspires me to try and do the same thing! Love your work and can't wait to get further along in the class and make some more pieces of inspiration for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow - such an inspiring post! Love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yhank you for sharing your story. And your art. Very inspiring

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your art showing. You are inspiring... I love your story of unlocking your artistic inner person. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your post is so inspiring. It sounds like much has changed in your life if you've gone from a hospital bed to having your art in a juried show. Congratulations to you for being so strong and brave and not letting anything stop you! Thank you for sharing your heart and beautiful art. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. loved that art has sucked you into it it was obviously where you needed to be for a while. glad to see that you are challenging yourself with the hidden animal face - great job making the viewer see something beyond the obvious - love that!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, congratulations on showing your art! How marvelous! And yes, those of us logical, analytical people can have explosions of cretivity! You go, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so happy to hear you are having such fun letting your creative spirit soar {and, that she's finding her way out of her comfort zone!}! I think it's so much fun to give ourselves that little nudge sometimes so we try new things, and then, what JOY it is to find such sweet talents!! Huge congrats to you for entering the art show and for all the amazing feedback you received! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations on your juried show! And for being brave enough to share your journey. Prayer and best wishes as you go through treatment :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW! So haPPy to read your story, and really haPPy that you are discovering your artistic side. Congratulations on your show and for putting yourself out there. Thinking of you with prayer and good thoughts for healing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so glad you entered the art show! That was a Brave Girl thing to do! How wonderful that you have discovered a whole new side of yourself -- something you can continue to cultivate! The 3 pieces on the fabric make it such a unique looking piece! It has been so fun to find artsy friends! My thoughts and prayers are with you each day for health, strength, and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations Jenna, your work is awesome and I believe therapy for your soul right now.

    Sadly I haven't gotten any further with "The Art of Wild Abandon" as it just gets impossible to get the video's to play:-(

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your story Jenna! We've been on a parallel path;D

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for all the positivity! And following along on my crazy chaotic life!

    ReplyDelete