Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Crying in the Middle of the Kitchen Floor

Another week, another round of Chemo.  It seems almost like a never ending cycle.  And each time I go for chemo, they keep tweaking my extra drugs to manage my side effects.  Some weeks are better than others. I have eventually graduated to the expensive pills.  Fortunately for me, and other cancer patients, the Manitoba government is now covering all cancer drugs including the all side effect management ones.  Go Manitoba go.  Of course they still don't pay for genetic testing for colon cancers, only for breast or ovarian.  And yet more people get colon cancer than breast or ovarian.  I guess colon cancer isn't pink enough. HA! 

I apologize if this post isn't as positive or cheery or thoughtful as my other ones.  Its just sometimes the going is tougher than others and it is much harder to maintain a positive attitude when those weeks hit.  But it is all a part of the journey. Some days will be harder, and crying in the middle of the kitchen floor seems like a far more appropriate response than finding the lighter side. 

I do try to find positives in those weeks.  It helps sometimes.  I've managed to get my self hooked into doing a huge craft sale in October.  I had to send in photos of my work to get accepted. Holy crazy batman, what have I done to myself?  But it does give me something to focus on that has nothing to do with my cancer.  I think that is helpful, is finding things that have nothing to do with the cancer and just going for it.  I think I'm crazy to do this craft show.  I don't have near enough art, but again, it will give me something to do, and I have lots of time to get ready. 

I think you have to maintain as much of a life outside the cancer as you can.  Things to do and focus on.  Maybe not what you normally do, but something.  Do what you like when you can. Its way better than sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor and crying.

Things will get better, I know they will.  Sometimes its harder to see that then others.

I promise the next blog post will be way better. I'm participating in a blog hop.  Should be lots of fun.

Here's some info on it.  This is a group of wonderful creative ladies who are supportive and positive and just fantabulous.  Check back May 5th and join the fun.




6 comments:

  1. Dear Ms. J... you my lovely flower have the right to laugh, cry, jump for joy, tumble to the floor, make funny faces, hide a face, blow a kiss, bite a lip...................... you have the right! Yes one would think breast cancer is the ONLY cancer. Those of us touch by cancers of uterus, thyroid, pancreas, lymphoma, lung, colon, kidney, ovarian..ect are for gotten..........but not by ALL We love you know when you decide the kitchen floor is the place for now, we are there with you............LOVE YOU

    ReplyDelete
  2. crying is good for you, it is a healthy response to times of distress. yes it feels like you've lost control or should be more positive or stronger for yourself and your kids telling you self to buck up, that you are not crying because you are giving up hope. but that's not what crying is about. it is about your subconscious forcing a cleansing on your mind/body/spirit of all the stress chemicals that have built up inside you from the tough situation you are going through. it is a known fact that tears trigger hormonal reactions in the body to remove cortisol and other accumulated toxins caused by angst and stress. give yourself a big hug for being brave enough to not only get through this day by day but also sharing yourself and your feelings with the rest of hugs. you can do it jenna, and having a good cry is part of the healing. hugs and healing prayers from me to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenna, this is your reality,and your emotional roller coaster. People that love you,respect you and admire you will go through this journey with you -the highs and the lows. Sometimes it's hard to be the brave one,the strong one,the "happy" one,let it out when you need to and know that there are people here to support you. I've had family members that I loved dearly go through cancer treatments,and I understand the emotional side of this disease. Bravo to you for being honest! I agree that you need to live life despite having cancer. Bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is exactly why I want to read your blog. You are being real and vulnerable. It is okay to cry and it is okay to just say what you feel. Thinking of you and praying for you.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes crying is exactly the right thing - you just need to get it out. I came across your blog from Cheri's when I noticed your name was Jenna - I have a daughter named the same. My mom lost her fight with colon cancer a dozen years ago, so I am saying a prayer right this minute that you are winning yours. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Your support means a lot. Especially coming from people who I haven't met. It means a lot

    ReplyDelete