Monday, April 2, 2012

Feet in a Cowpie

Chemo Days. Sounds like some kind of fair or celebration. And I suppose in some ways it is a celebration. Today is treatment 3 of 12. I could look at it and say damn, 9 more to go. Or I could say I am a 1/4 of the way on my journey to being cancer free.

My cousin Megan just finished her treatments for colon cancer and she looks at her cancer differently then I do. She always states "I had cancer. The surgery removed the cancer, the treatments are to make sure it doesn't come back." I admire that attitude. And if I'm honest, envy it a bit too.

My attitude is different. I have cancer and the treatments are to get rid of it. Realistically I know that my cancer (even if I never get another tumor) will always be a part of my life now. It's changing how I live my life and how I look at the world.

Chemo treatments are difficult. I don't like feeling unwell and it's hard to justify making myself feel this way when I have no other symptoms. Logically I know that this is what I need to do, but emotionally it makes no sense.

So I make a conscious choice to look at the positive and ignore the negative. I have this fridge magnet that embraces this philosophy. "feet in a cowpie, head in the clouds"

It's a great way to live. I know the difficulties and challenges but I choose to keep my dreams and my head in the clouds!

5 comments:

  1. I wish I could sit next to you and hold your hand, and just be there for you. So I am sitting here all the way in South Africa and in spirit I am holding you hand. {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote that Cancer has changed the way you look at life. In what way? What do you see know that you did not see before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Trust you to jump ahead to the next blog post that is mulling around in my brain. Patience grasshopper. I shall share that too!

      Delete
  3. Jenna, firstly {hugs}, I can never imagine how you must of felt and I admire you so much for starting this blog and sharing your journey with us. Your positive attitude, a quarter of the way through is so right and I am so glad that you signed up for Junelle's course in November. I could *NEVER* draw either and the radishes...boy was I so out my confort zone....but your right she makes it so easy and now look at us all doing what we thought we could never do! I am so glad you signed up in November, you were right it was meant to be and I can't wait to have you join us for the blog hop on the 5th.

    Claire

    ReplyDelete