Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The First Step

Where does one begin?

I've thought a lot about putting fingers to the keyboard and never really gotten around to actually doing it. What would I say? Who would even want to read it? And so I never got around to it.

Then it happened. The big C. Cancer. 42 years old and I have colon cancer. No warning, no symptoms, no signs. Went to BC for Christmas vaction and ended up having emergency surgery Christmas day. Not how I'd intended on spending my holidays, but there it was. And now everything has changed. My whole life is turned upsidedown. And not just mine either. My kids too.

This is making me question everything. I am a big believer in fate and that things happen for a reason. I'm struggling with what's the reason for this. Why did it happen? What on earth could be the purpose. One answer is that Uncle Murphy likes me way too much, but that's too easy.

My sister suggested that I start a blog. If I'm going through this then so are others. And we each have our own unique way of dealing with cancer and struggling with the question of "why me?" She has found all kinds of help and useful insights on parenting by reading blogs. If I do this, if I share this, then I am not alone and neither is someone else. Maybe I'm just fooling myself.

I'm hoping by doing this I will be able to find answers. They may not be the answers, but they will be answers.

So this is my first step on my journey: share my journey.

6 comments:

  1. And why not! I have found by reaching out over cyber space has helped me through some very tough stuff. I am sure you will find much comfort too. I myself haven't blogged since Jer took ill. I know I should get back at...just not ready. Good luck and have fun...it can be amazing!
    {LOVEUMUCH}
    A. Heath

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderful idea Jenna. I know when my mom was sick with lung cancer she did a lot of writing (poetry), and my sister and i would keep everyone updated with how she was doing by email so that all the people who cared about her and loved her could remain informed. this was our solution as she didn't blog and found it very consuming and tiring to repeatedly talk about the big C with people and yet she needed an emotional release for what she was going through. I encourage you to keep blogging and sharing with friends and family...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with those above. It's a great way to keep in touch with all and we can try to offer support when needed. Luv ya lots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo Blogger Jenna!

    I don't know if blogging will fit your bill, but it's worth a shot to see if you get something of value out of it. I find, that since most people lurk, you will get more people reading your ramblings than commenting on them. This is frustrating since you wonder if what you are offering is of value to folks. However, writing also has benefits regardless of how others use it.

    I find that blogging gives me focus to my thoughts. And in your case, you might be able to write about your treatments and your cancer, more authentically than you might in other communication media. Also, it gives others a chance to know what you are going through and some good opportunities to connect to others as well.

    Hope you are as well as you can be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great idea Jenna...oh me of few words... Thinking of you lots and wishing good things for you. Think positive and take the best care you can - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I started blogging 3 years ago...this is my therapy on the net in a way. I have made some awesome in real life friends that have prayed me through so many tough situations. I am happy to share your journey.

    xx

    ReplyDelete